Robots Are Among Us

Lil Miquela is an Instagram famous robot. She rose to fame after many people began to notice her cartoon-like appearance.

Kenya Espinoza, Staff Writer

The selective exposure theory states that individuals tend to favor ideas that they have been exposed to as they are already familiarized with them. Though it may sound far fetched, this idea can be seen to be true because of situations portrayed on TV for extended periods of time which are now becoming reality.On Feb. 27, 2012, Disney XD released a show called “Lab Rats.”The show revolves around three bionic teenagers that were originally created to destroy, but were then adopted by the brother of their creator. The brother, Mr. Davenport, then “raised” them and taught them to do good. All the teens had to do then was hide their superpowers from the rest of the world. This show was one of the first children’s shows to portray robots that looked exactly like humans. The idea clearly seemed to be unimportant and unrealistic at the time. But that all changed this year.   On April 20, a very well-known Instagram model named Lil Miquela came out as a robot. There were already many suspicions about her not being human since she looked very different from the people she had taken pictures with. Many theories were born from this, but not a single one guessed that she was a robot. She is also not the only robot that exist; the same company that created her also created another robot. He is known as Blawko, and he is also a very well- known Instagram model.

These robots were created by a company called “Brud.” The company does not provide much information about itself. All it  really tells the public is that it is a studio that creates digital characters. They are able to form their own opinions about different ideas. In many of their posts they can be seen holding a drink or snack, but it is still unknown if they can actually consume any kind of food.A few months ago Lil Miquela claimed she was no longer working with “Brud” because of unfair treatment. As of now it is known that she is hesitantly returning to the company

Already one of their projects has revolted because she believed that she was being treated unfairly. If movies have taught us anything, it is that things will only get worse from here. One out of three of the robots wants nothing to do with the company and wants to do everything on its own. Soon enough the others could follow and have different ideas that may not be rational, which would only have negative effects. What could the creation of these robots be leading to?

Do you think robots will eventually take over our society?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• Robots Are Among Us

Ask a Senior: Are You Ready for Senior Year?

• Features

Kiss 2019 End of the Road Tour Hits Atlanta

• Robots Are Among Us

How to Have a Memorable Stay-cation

• Robots Are Among Us

How to Stay Motivated in the Last Few Months of the School Year

• Robots Are Among Us

A Step-by-Step Guide to Prom for First-Timers

• Robots Are Among Us

Perfect Prom Preparation

• Robots Are Among Us

North Forsyth DECA Takes On the 2019 State CDC

• Robots Are Among Us

Arabian Nights: Everything You Need to Know about Prom 2019

• Robots Are Among Us

A Brief History of the St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun

• Robots Are Among Us

Jonas Brothers Make the Most Needed Comeback of 2019

Robots Are Among Us