Robots Are Among Us

Lil Miquela is an Instagram famous robot. She rose to fame after many people began to notice her cartoon-like appearance.

Kenya Espinoza, Staff Writer

The selective exposure theory states that individuals tend to favor ideas that they have been exposed to as they are already familiarized with them. Though it may sound far fetched, this idea can be seen to be true because of situations portrayed on TV for extended periods of time which are now becoming reality.On Feb. 27, 2012, Disney XD released a show called “Lab Rats.”The show revolves around three bionic teenagers that were originally created to destroy, but were then adopted by the brother of their creator. The brother, Mr. Davenport, then “raised” them and taught them to do good. All the teens had to do then was hide their superpowers from the rest of the world. This show was one of the first children’s shows to portray robots that looked exactly like humans. The idea clearly seemed to be unimportant and unrealistic at the time. But that all changed this year.   On April 20, a very well-known Instagram model named Lil Miquela came out as a robot. There were already many suspicions about her not being human since she looked very different from the people she had taken pictures with. Many theories were born from this, but not a single one guessed that she was a robot. She is also not the only robot that exist; the same company that created her also created another robot. He is known as Blawko, and he is also a very well- known Instagram model.

These robots were created by a company called “Brud.” The company does not provide much information about itself. All it  really tells the public is that it is a studio that creates digital characters. They are able to form their own opinions about different ideas. In many of their posts they can be seen holding a drink or snack, but it is still unknown if they can actually consume any kind of food.A few months ago Lil Miquela claimed she was no longer working with “Brud” because of unfair treatment. As of now it is known that she is hesitantly returning to the company

Already one of their projects has revolted because she believed that she was being treated unfairly. If movies have taught us anything, it is that things will only get worse from here. One out of three of the robots wants nothing to do with the company and wants to do everything on its own. Soon enough the others could follow and have different ideas that may not be rational, which would only have negative effects. What could the creation of these robots be leading to?

Do you think robots will eventually take over our society?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What's your favorite subject?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• Robots Are Among Us

Valentine’s Day Around the World

• Robots Are Among Us

How to Win Valentine’s Day: Gifts to Get the One You Cherish

• Robots Are Among Us

Adam Levine and Travis Scott’s Halftime Show Left Many Disappointed

• Robots Are Among Us

You Will Fall in Love With These Top Three Valentine’s Day Traditions

• Robots Are Among Us

Does “Mary Poppins Returns” Live Up to the Original Movie?

• Robots Are Among Us

Where Did the Great Movies Go?

• Robots Are Among Us

Top Five Prom Dress Shops

• Robots Are Among Us

Read 5:32 p.m.: The Frustration of Read Receipts

• Robots Are Among Us

New Year, New Books: Top 10 Anticipated Young-Adult Books of 2019

• Robots Are Among Us

President Trump’s Twitter Account Has Officially Been Confiscated

Robots Are Among Us