New Year, New Books: Top 10 Anticipated Young-Adult Books of 2019

There are many Young-Adult books being released in 2019, but there are 10 in particular that bibliophiles have been ranting and raving about.

Bella Angell, Editor-in-Chief

What is a better way to ring in the new year than visiting the local Barnes & Noble to pick up some new YA releases? While many book releases have already been announced (and some are still waiting to be announced), there are 10 that bibliophiles CANNOT stop talking about. Here they are in chronological order by release date:

“Two Can Keep A Secret” by Karen M. McManus – Jan. 8, 2019

• Ellery arrives to town and immediately discovers that things are not as they seem. Small town life can be dangerous. Suspects, secrets and suspense bring this gripping story set in Echo Ridge to life.

“The Gilded Wolves” by Roshni Chokshi – Jan. 15, 2019

• Glamour, danger and adventure bring 1889 Paris to the here and now.  The lives of an engineer, a historian, a dancer and a brother cross paths with a treasure hunter and an affluent hotel owner. Who will survive?

“King of Scars” by Leigh Bardugo – Jan. 29, 2019

• Nikolai fights to save his country, Ravka, amidst war and magic. Can he save himself without sharing his deepest secrets with anyone? Or will Ravka and Nikolai both be destroyed?

“On the Come Up” by Angie Thomas – Feb. 5, 2019

• Becoming a rapper is a double-edged sword for Bri. It can solve her family’s financial turmoil, but succeeding as a rapper could also mark her as a bad girl.

“Rayne & Delilah’s Midnite Matinee” by Jeff Zentner – Feb. 26, 2019

• This is a coming of age story that speaks to young adults, especially seniors in high school. Delia (Delilah Darkwood) and Josie (Rayne Ravenscroft) are more than the hosts of the cable TV show “Midnight Matinee.” They are hopes and dreams coupled with uncertainty and unpredictable emotions.

“You Asked for Perfect” by Laura Silverman – March 5, 2019

• Perfection is a real thing in the mind of Ariel Stone. He thinks he must be perfect at any cost. Calculus or his tutor Amir may be the one thing that pushes him over the edge.

“Shout” by Laurie Halse Anderson – March 12, 2019

• Anderson (who you may recognize as the author of “Speak”) is breaking the cycle of sexual assault by sharing every fragment of shame, guilt and hurt. Now is the time to “Shout” out our perspective without any bonds. Reading her work creates an advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves.

“Defy Me” by Tahereh Mafi – April 2, 2019

• The story of Juliette and Warner continues. Juliette knows Warner is hiding something, but what? Who can she trust and where will she go? The nightmares have to end.

“Again, but Better” by Christine Riccio – May 7, 2019

• College life is not what Shane had envisioned. She is the perfect student with the imperfect life. How far will she have to go to find what she truly wants in life?

“Aurora Rising” by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – May 7, 2019

• Jump ahead to the year 2380 and watch Tyler Jones unfold as the leader of a group of oddballs. Will this group be able to save Auri from her century’s long, deep sleep? Or will Auri be the reason they have to face a war and stand up for the galaxy?

Who is ready for a year full of books? These are only the top 10 books to release this year; there are even more books being released by authors such as Renée Ahdieh, Brittany Cavallaro and many others. Some of these writers have been preparing these books for years and some for months, so it will be intriguing to see how their hard work paid off.