Guardians 2, Star Wars, Thor Among 2017 Box Office Choices

2017 will bring many good movies to the big screen.

Andrew Willings, Staff Writer

Just like every other year, hundreds of movies are going to be released in 2017. So, get ready, because next year is going to be filled with sequels, spin-offs and original movies for you to enjoy.

January starts out with two movies: “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage” (January 20) and “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” (January 27). “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage” is the third installment of the xXx movie series, which follows the journeys of an extreme sports athlete turned government operative named Xander Cage (Vin Diesel). The two previous movies combined grossed $348,471,075. “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” is the sixth movie in the Resident Evil series, which is loosely based on the Capcom video game series of the same title, and it is to be the final installment. The movie is about the protagonist Alice (Milla Jovovich), who is the only survivor of what was meant to be humanity’s final stand against the undead. The events in this movie will take place directly after the last film, “Resident Evil: Retribution”.

February has three large movies coming out on the tenth, and it will be interesting to see which movie does the best. The three movies are: “Lego: Batman”, “Fifty Shades Darker” and “John Wick: Chapter 2”. “Lego: Batman” is a spin-off of the very successful Lego movie, and will follow the adventures of Batman (Will Arnett) and Robin (Michael Cera). “Fifty Shades Darker” is a sequel to the also popular “Fifty Shades of Grey”. This sequel will show the same characters, Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele, who is struggling with new and existing personal issues. “John Wick: Chapter 2” is another sequel to the first “John Wick”, a movie which follows ex-hitman John Wick (Keanu Reeves) who comes out of retirement to go after the people who destroyed his life. The sequel is only said to be a continuation.

March is full of movies like “Logan” (March 3), “Kong: Skull Island” (March 10), “Beauty and The Beast” (March 17) and “Power Rangers” (March 24). “Logan” is the third Wolverine movie, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) being one of the most popular characters from the popular X-men franchise, and will follow his task to protect a young female clone of himself called X-23 (Dafne Keen). “Kong: Skull Island” is a reboot of the King Kong movies and the overall plot isn’t well known, although it will be about King Kong’s origins. “Beauty and The Beast” is a live action movie based on the well-known story of the same name, which was originally animated and follows the characters Belle (Emma Watson) and Beast (Dan Stevens).

April will see the release of “The Fate of the Furious” (April 14). The next month in May “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” (May 5th), “Alien: Covenant” (May 19th) and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” (May 26th) will release. “Fate of the Furious” is the eighth installment in the “Fast & Furious” series. Even though the title sounds concluding it has been said that it will not be the final movie in the series. The released blurb for the movie states that the character Dom (Vin Diesel) will betray his crew and begin work a mysterious woman. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” is the first marvel movie release of the year, and it will be a continuation of the first “Guardians of the Galaxy” which was a surprise hit with audiences, and it grossed $774,176,600 worldwide. This movie will probably take place a while after the end of the first movie, when there next big adventure occurs. “Alien: Covenant” is another movie in the Alien series, and comes after the movie “Prometheus”. The movie is about the ship Covenant and its crew, who finds what they believe to be an uncharted paradise but is actually a very dangerous world with the character David (Michael Fassbender) being the only resident and also a remaining member of the Prometheus expedition.  “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales” is the fifth movie in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series. Like every movie before it, Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) will be on an adventure, this time in search of Poseidon’s trident.

June will be an extremely filled month, most likely because students will be on summer break. Films include “Wonder Woman” (June 2), “The Mummy” (June 9th), “Cars 3” (June 16), “Toy Story 4” (June 21), “Transformers: The Last Knight” (June 23) and “Despicable Me 3” (June 30). “Wonder Woman” is another movie for the DC cinematic universe, and it’s about an Amazonian warrior named Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) who leaves her home to see the world. “The Mummy” is a reboot of the series of the same name which started in 1999. It follows the awakening of an Egyptian princess with the desire to reclaim her world. “Cars 3” is a movie by Pixar studios which will follow the events of the previous two movies, the first of which was released in 2006 and the second in 2011, and many are hoping this will be a redemption from the last one. “Transformers: The Last Knight” is another “Transformers” movie, and its plot is still unreleased. “Despicable Me 3” is the fourth movie in the franchise, the “Minions” movie being a spin-off of “Despicable Me” one and two. The plot of this film is unreleased as well, although it will still have the protagonist Gru (Steve Carrell) and his family.

July’s releases include: “Spider Man: Homecoming” (July 7), “War for the Planet of the Apes” (July 14) and “Dunkirk” (July 21). “Spider Man: Homecoming” will be the second Marvel movie set to release in 2017. It will show Peter Parkers (Tom Holland) journey of finding who he is as hero, getting help along the way from Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.). “War of the Planet of the Apes” is a sequel to the “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” reboot of the original “Planet of the Apes” movie, this one following the ape Caesar (voiced by Andy Serkis) and his army of genetically enhanced apes fighting mankind for dominance of Earth. “Dunkirk” is an original historical film following allied soldiers being surrounded by German soldiers.

October’s releases are: “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” (October 6th), “Blade Runner 2049” (October 6th), “Friday the 13 “ (October 13th) and “Saw: Legacy” (October 27th). “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” is a sequel to “Kingsman: The Secret Service”. The plot is that Eggsy (Taron Egerton) and Merlin (Mark Strong) are forced to work with the statesmen (an American agency) to save the world. “Blade Runner 2049” is a sequel to “Blade Runner” and has no plot or information about the characters at the time. “Friday the 13th” is another movie starring the legendary Jason Voorhees, and the film is still in pre-production so nothing beyond that is known. “Saw: Legacy” is also in pre-production and neither a plot nor a cast list has been released.

The big movies of November are “Thor: Ragnarok” (November 3) and “Justice League” (November 17). “Thor: Ragnarok” is the third Thor movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and follows the story of Ragnarok, which in Norse mythology is about the death of most major gods including both Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Justice League is another superhero movie, this one based on DC comics. The “Justice League is a group of major DC characters who act as a team to stop major threats, and is led by characters like Superman (Henry Cavill), Batman (Ben Affleck), The Flash (Ezra Miller) and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot).

Major December movies include both “Star Wars: Episode VIII” (December 15) and “Jumanji” (December 22). “Star Wars: Episode VIII” is a continuation of the massive success “Star Wars: Episode VII”, however because it’s still a year away little is known about the plot. “Jumanji” is another movie about the board game that comes to life, only this time the characters will be taken into the game itself.

While not all of these movies are going to appeal to everyone, these movies are some of the biggest films for next year, and if one of them seems interesting they’ll all be released for your entertainment.